A medium is the channel through which message travel from the source to the receiver. Mass media include not only the mechanical device that transmit and sometimes store the message e.g. television cameras, radio, microphone, printing press e.t.c but also the institution that uses these machines to transmit the message. It other word, â€˜hen we talk about mass media we are referring to the people, the policies, the organization and the technology that goes into producing mass communication.
According to oxford advanced leaner dictionary, international studentâ€™s edition, mass media is designed as information and news such as newspapers, magazine, radio and television that reach an influence large number of people.
It is well known that most raw material provide for the urban community. Despite this, the contributions of the rural community have not received adequate attention which they deserve. –
According to Nwusu Ikechuku (1990:5)â€™ â€œcommunication is central to rural national Development and that is catalytic effect to the Development of other sector of the economy should never be neglected.
Ekitudo (1986:120) observed that â€œThe role of mass media in â€™global community has dynamically grown in concept of communication changingâ€ with the- proper use of communication media in shaping and channeling the minds of the rural communities in the use that cued them, and it will go a long way in blaring their condition. It is therefore important to investigate the affair of the mass media in Nigeria even down to local government level to make the rural communities develop. This research work will focus on Ijero Local Government Area of Ekiti state. Looking at the role of mass media in the development of Ijero Local Govrnment.
1.2 Statement of Research Problem
In this information age where communication has been taken as a vital instrument for rural economic, social and political development. Even in most rural, communities where media are complexity or partially available, information is shared among the people who cannot read or write and get them to maintain a stable system of living.
This study intends to find out the impact of mass media in communities in the context of development. The problem also include to what extent is the attitude and behavioral changes of rural drivellers when exposed to the mass media. It will also look at the extent of variable such as educational qualification, occupation and income different among the people of Ijero Local Government area of Ekiti State.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The objectives of this are to examine role played by the mass media in contribution to the community development of Ijero Ekiti, Ekiti state.
- To examine the extent which mass media has contribute to the development of rural community in Nigeria.
- To determine the means and sources of mass media available to the people of Ijero Ekiti.
- To discover what can be done to improve the role of mass media in the said community of Ijero Local government and other communities in the country.
- To determine if there is any adverse impact of exposure to mass media on the people of Ijero Local government and how can this be eliminated or minimized.
- To examine the problems faced by mass media practitioners in this community and what are suggested solutions to these problems.
1.4 Research Question
These are the following question that may arise in the course of this
- To what extent does mass media contribute to the development of rural community in Nigeria?
- What are the means and sources of mass media available to the people of Ijero Ekiti?
- What can be done to improve the role of mass media in the community of Ijero Local government and other communities in the country?
- Is there any adverse impact of exposure to mass media on the people of Ijero Local government, how can this be eliminated or minimized?
- What are the problems faced by mass media practitioners in the community and what are suggested solutions to these problems?
There are many people that will benefit from research work. Both the young and the old will gain a lot of things from the work. However, the level of education will not only be improved by mass media among the youths but also among the old ones.
This research work will be of advantage for everybody in the community because the knowledge of how to provide s9lution to communityâ€™s problems will be acquired. The tactics of modern education system through the use of computer will be gained by the help of mass media.
Though, this research work is based one community (Ijero), it is organized in a way to highlight the role which mass media play any community development and improvement passed to the people through it.
Consequently, mass media will provide education, entertainment technological advancement, information e.t.c which will move Ijero Local Government forward among other communities.
1.6 Definition of Terms
This is the definition of some important concepts used in this study.
- Journalist: A journalist collects and disseminates information about currentevents, people, trends, and issues. His or her work is acknowledged as journalism.
- Reporters: Reporters are one type of journalist; they create reports as aprofession for broadcast or publication in mass media such as newspapers, television, radio, magazines, documentary film, and the Internet.
- Mass Media: Mass media refers collectively to all media technologies, includingthe Internet, television, newspapers, and radio, which are used for mass communications, and to the organizations which control these technologies.
- Format: Microsoft Word
- Pages: 75
- Price: ₦3000
- Chapters: 1-5